Friday 21 September 2018

Meet the Lawyer - Matthew Brewer

MATTHEW BREWER OVER TO YOU…



TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOURSELF?

I am a Property Solicitor based in our Marlborough office having joined Awdry Bailey & Douglas in 2014. I am originally from Chippenham but now live in Wanborough with my partner and our dog, Bertie.

WHAT AREA OF LAW DO YOU WORK IN?

I am based in the firm’s Residential Property Department and I have particular experience in complex and high value Residential Property matters. I regularly deal with the purchase of new build properties, retirement developments and I also act for many local investors looking to expand their property portfolios. As well as working locally, I also have a strong following of London based clients. 

 TELL US ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY TO THE LAW?

After obtaining a Law Degree from Portsmouth University, I initially undertook a work experience placement in the summer of 2014 with ABD in order to obtain hands on experience into the workings of a busy legal practice. I was then offered a role in the firm’s busy Accounts department as well as working with the firm’s Private Client department. Having always been interested in Property and wanting to be a Solicitor, it was not long before I started studying my Legal Practice Course part-time whilst working full-time in the firm’s Devizes Conveyancing Team. I shortly  thereafter relocated to the Marlborough Office and continued my part-time studies at the same time of undertaking a Training Contract to qualify as a Solicitor. In August 2017, I qualified as a Solicitor and I am now looking forward to progressing further with my career.

WHAT ARE 5 WORDS A CLIENT WOULD USE TO DESCRIBE YOU?

Diligent, Proactive, Approachable, Positive and Efficient.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY HAS BEEN YOUR CAREER HIGHLIGHT TO DATE?

Qualifying as a Solicitor has to be the stand out highlight in my career so far. After studying and working hard for over 7 years, the achievement of qualification makes this all worth the effort. I also receive a great deal of satisfaction from seeing individual property transactions complete and being a part of my clients journey, whether this is purchasing their first home or downsizing into retirement accommodation.

WHAT/WHO INSPIRES YOU?

Many of my senior colleagues inspire me on a daily basis. Watching and learning from those who have been in my shoes already is a huge benefit and inspires me to be successful.

WHAT DO YOU ENJOY TO DO OUTSIDE OF WORK?


I am a huge sports fan and a keen follower of Newcastle United, although this can be painful at the best of times!! When possible, I also try to lower my golf handicap to mixed success and I am keen skier. My weekends are usually enjoyed going on long walks with my partner and our dog and I can often be found sampling an alcoholic beverage in a local pub.